Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sunflowers

  
   It's that time of year again, for sunflowers! For the last 4 years I have been planting a fence-line of sunflowers in my backyard. These vibrant yellow blooms are my ultimate fav. I'm not sure if it's because of my late grandfather, or if it was a flower I grew to love on my own, but I can't seem to get enough of them. My grandfather, who I called Bobby, passed away in 2005, and each time I see a sunflower I feel as if he is right there with me enjoying the beauty of a field of yellow.

This is a photo Bobby took years ago!
     Bobby used to stop right along the side of the road and start snapping photos of a field of sunflowers. And to tell you the truth I have started doing the same thing.

I plant the sunflowers along this fence-line!

As the summer progresses I will be sure to post pictures of the sunflowers!


Cameron was very helpful in watering the flowers!

This sunflower is from my Grandma Garner's garden (other side of the family)!
My love for gardening probably came from my grandma Garner who was born with a green thumb.

Happy Planting!

Recently Shelved:

Three Times Lucky

Three Times Lucky
By: Sheila Turnage
5 Stars

At 10am I opened “Three Times Lucky” by Sheila Turnage, and by 4pm that same day I closed “Three Times Lucky”. And this may sound bad that I am closing the book so soon, but it’s not. I couldn’t put it down for the life of me! Turnage created a town and family of sorts in Tupela Landing, a town only 2 blocks long, but with a story a nations worth.

I’m not sure were to start with this review. The story goes through sort of a maze of side stories to come up with it’s final resting place. Each person in Tupela Landing has a story to tell, but they don’t seem to know it themselves. I know, I know, I’m confusing you already. But I love it when a mystery of tales all come together to create an incredible ending.

Usually when I read of small towns in a book, I get a feeling of naiveness, but Tupela was far from naive. Turnage did a superb job of creating a closeness, and love for each and everything in life, and especially in Tupela Landing.

And once again you have no idea what this story is about. But, let me see! It’s a child’s novel, written for about 10-12 year olds, but most definitely suited for teens, and adults. It’s a mystery, and a story of loss, and love.

When trying to think how to describe it I keep coming up with “Because of Winn-Dixie”, and “Moon Over Manifest” in my mind. The stories run along the same lines, but are all great in their own way.

Turnage caught my attention, and I hope she catches yours as well!

4 comments:

  1. I love the story behind your love of sunflowers. I can't wait to see how they grow! I feel the same way about violets, my mom's mom LOVED them, every time I see them I think of her. I love the photo that your grandfather took, such a neat love to pass on to Cameron. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to have you guys over this summer so you can see them bloom!

      Delete
  2. That is a GORGEOUS photo of the sunflower fields, Betsy! Hope you get a good crop this year. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's very much appreciated.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I didn't have any luck with the sunflowers, but I did everything right, I hope, this year! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...